Saturday, October 10, 2015

Prayer Problems: Power - 3 Will I Risk Myself?

Focus passage: 1 Kings 18:16-24


I wrestle with putting myself on the line. 

I may pray that someone I know comes to faith. Will I risk our friendship to actually say something about Jesus to them or am I too afraid that they will push me away? Will I stand up for what I believe when people trash God or just pray that the Holy Spirit will change their hearts? Earlier, God had told Elijah to hide himself during the famine. Now it was time to present himself and put his whole life on the line.
  • This was a duel between God and Satan. The people needed to see who the real God was. They had been worshipping the messengers of Satan and giving them credit for the harvest. Elijah was being called on to wage war against Satan and his prophets. It would be a battle where everyone could see God’s power and Satan’s weakness. The war is still around us, yet too often we Christians remain silent. Those who have never seen God’s power or mercy need us to stand up so God can be seen and His words brought out into the open.
  • Elijah had to clearly show which side he was on. He had been hidden by God to preserve his life for this day. Now it was time to put himself on the line. 450 prophets of Baal would demonstrate what their god could do. Elijah would stand for the Lord. If the Lord failed, he would die. He knew as he prayed that the Lord would not let him down. People can’t see the Lord, but they can see us. There are times that we can’t hide in the shadows any longer. There are times I just have to find the courage to stand for an unseen God so that others can see what He can really do.
  • Prayer is obedient action as well as heart desires. We often think of prayer as something between us and God. That may be true, but prayer has consequences. Powerful prayer is often an act of obedience as well. We ask God to do something and God ends up sending us to be His tool for a miracle. Praying that somehow God will send others to do what we want is not real prayer. Prayer often involves asking God to empower us and prepare us so that lives can be changed and miracles can happen.
There are times that I don’t pray because I know that God will send me to help someone else. I am sure that others don’t pray from time to time because they don’t want to hear what God will say as well. It is kind of like not talking to a friend when you are in crisis because you don’t want to hear what you know that they will say. The problem is that God knows what is needed. Change will not happen in my life unless I get His advice and follow what God says. Help may not come to the person in trouble if I don’t pray and then put my life on the line to help them with God’s mercy and power. Prayer is often an act of obedience as well as faith.

What are things that people don’t want to hear from God? Please share your comments and questions below or send me your thoughts at 32daysdevotions@gmail.com.   We will take time Wednesday to “talk” about your thoughts in the blog so we can have a conversation and I can learn from you. 




No comments:

Post a Comment