Tuesday, August 11, 2015

"Who is God?", Part IV: God transforms our lives

Focus passage: Galatians 5:13-26

Many people give up on Christianity because they think that it is too hard. Christianity is often seen as a religion of dos and don’ts, but I see my faith as my freedom. The Holy Spirit transforms me so that I am free to live the life I want and not be a slave to my desires or to the world. My God is the one who frees me from the desires of this world and the expectations of others. Because of God, I can succeed where others will fail. I will have joy in life where others find drudgery. God transforms my life so that I can be different in three very special ways. 


  • I am free to love v. 14 Christians look at others differently. In an office or school, everyone competes with one another since only one person can be at the top. Christians are brothers and sisters who are free to love each other and help each other in need. I am free to love you and walk with you because love is a gift from God. 

        • I am free to overcome sinful desires v.16 I don’t want to cheer when you fail. I don’t want to be a slave to my sin. I know the cost to me and the cost to you. Yet, I need help to live the life that I want to live. That help comes from the Holy Spirit. I surrender to Him and let him help me fight my emotions and my inner demons. I can be free from my desires so I am the person I want to be with the Spirit’s help. 

          • I am trusted and respected v.22 Instead of living by my desires, I want to be a blessing to others. I want to live the kind of life that makes me someone who is trusted and a person who people can depend on. With the Holy Spirit’s help, I am free to be someone people will respect and want to be around. I want to be someone that people seek out because I am filled with joy, patience and goodness. 

                 As a Christian, I have a different way of thinking. It is not all about me. Because I have God, I live in a world of abundance. My God can and does provide all the things that I need. I have love to share and a joy to live in. My desires don’t have to rule over me. I can act differently. I don’t need the lottery or the perfect job to get ahead. I don’t have to compete with others for the few scraps in this world. I give to others knowing that God will take care of me. I smile at the waitress or go out of my way to help my coworkers. God has freed me to think and act differently and I love the new person that I have become. People smile when I enter a room because they know they can trust me and that I will treat them well.

             

            No comments:

            Post a Comment